8/4/08

I am a Calabi Yau manifold

Just finished I am a Strange Loop, now, wonderfully, available in Paperback so you should pick it up.

Wonderful book on the exploration of interiority and the perception of perceiving. Really, really good.




I read the first half, and had to put it down for six months. This was b/c in it, he discusses, at length, the death of his wife, and transcribes essentially, letters he wrote to a good friend just after her death. It is so heart wrenching, and touching, and appreciably unexpected in such a trove, that it is just great. But after pouring through this achingly brutal section, I just had to step away for a minute.

I turned back to the book about a month ago and finished it up, and it was well worth the effort.

The only critiques are that:

a.) he begins to repeat himself a lot (though really, this is justifiable and even necessary considering his general approach and subject matter), and

b.) to that end, I'm not convinced that 361 pages of just the words "I am a Strange Loop." over and over again would have been any less enlightening (though again, I mean this as a sideways compliment.)

"I am a Strange Loop" gets the Billy D medal of suggestion.