8/16/08

Georgia on my mind

Eureka!  



Thanks, Bren.  I'm such an idiot.  This whole time it has been that my sound pref was set @ line in rather than internal mic.  

Can you tell I am having contact lens trouble, much?  

But I AM like Russia, in that you may have started the war, but I brought an arsenal.  My cousin Digman has put together some classic crispy jamz over the past few months, and, when he read about what we're doing here, he asked me to post them on the right side of the page.  So that is what I did.  He says that sometimes the levels are far from perfect, but he is a slow learner, so you should be happy with what you got.

Did anyone catch that Dara Torres in her semifinal race this evening?  It was great.  Before the race, she was all up in arms, it seemed, and was giving the officials the what-for.  Turns out, one of her opponent's swim trunks had ripped, and she was simply making sure that they did not start the race until she had a moment to slip into a different suit.

Now, I like to consider myself to be a sort of nice person, and I could envision myself, in certain circumstances, going out of my way like that to help someone in need.  (Not: like the time last week when a kid was pushing his car in the middle lane of Pennsylvania Ave, near Greenhill, and I just drove on by...not like that)  But these swimmers are FOCUSED, and in the minutes and seconds before a race they will not be bothered.  So to see Dara Torres, aged Olympic hero walking about wagging her finger (metaphorically) at the judges, on behalf of a competitor, at the very moment that, if anything, she should be envisioning ripping this girl's efficiently beating heart out of from her still panting chest, was a vision of sportsmanship at its best.  

And to then watch Ms. Torres go out and win the race, the incredibly short 50m dash, despite getting a bad jump off the gun, was inspiring.  

Now, having qualified for the medal race, she has the opportunity to win her first individual gold medal, and her eleventh Olympic Medal overall, over her five visits to the Games.  


I know I was beating the medal drum the other evening, 

about how the medal count don't mean so much when you consider that the Chinese athletes are groomed and picked from a super young age, while the US's strategy of grooming and picking young athletes is a bit less on the pushy side.  His claim is he would rather live in a place that approaches the competition rationally, not as a form of nationalistic propaganda. Perhaps he should move to Canada?  Good way to spend 4 minutes and 27 seconds.  Click the link!!!