11/20/08

on Proposition 8


Much has been made about the state of California's recent decision to overturn their Supreme Court's ruling that barring homosexuals from marriage is in fact discrimination, and therefore must end.  Much has been made, on both sides, indeed.  

I, for one, am shocked, from a constitutional standpoint, that such an electoral veto is even legally possible.  What then, of the Supreme Court?  Now, I assume that California's state laws allow this particular situation, and it is not legal on a national scale.  Of course, we don't have national ballot referenda (referndai?) on specific isues (thank goodness), but the point remains:  if the Court exist to determine legal matters and procedures, than how can the electorate simply overturn its authority?  

Christian and Mormon groups and individuals lobbied the electorate hard, while the GLBT community lobbied equally intensely against the "proposition."  Everyone took a side, and those lines remain drawn.  The issue has seeped well beyond the borders of that chaotic liberal mecca and seeped into the collective conscious and conscience of the country.  Nowhere has this been more clear than on Saturday 11/15 when tens of thousands of Americans, nationwide, loudly protested their anger at the decision, and just as many, if not more, stood against them.

While I really do DO ALL OF MY BEST to support ALL people, and thus try at times to avoid making statements in print that may offend anyone that I know personally.  While i do express my opinion, I also OFTEN do a good deal of self editing, in the interest of avoiding frightening or saddening my friends and family.  Nonetheless, I am compelled to speak on the issue of Proposition 8 and homosexuality in general.

On, Prop 8:  

I agree with the Christians.....IN THAT....
Homosexuals should NOT be allowed to marry IN CHRISTIAN CHURCHES which do not support homosexual marriage.  Church's should in no way be forced to celebrate marriages they do not recognize or feel are sinful.  The Supreme Court (of America) recently ruled that homosexuals can't serve as boy scout leaders, and while I personally disagree, I do agree legally.  The (Christian) Boy Scout organization (sorta?) has the right to discriminate in hiring leaders for their special club.  The same goes for churches and gay marriage.  They should not have to play host to such 'sinfulness.'

HOWEVER,

the thought, the utter thought that GOVERNMENT in any way would act to restrict the rights of ANY part of the citizenry, is an abomination.  Of course, we reserve the right to restrict all sorts of 'negative' behaviors, like robbery, murder, rape, etc.  But in no way (other than perhaps, an individual's or groups' views of morality) does being a homosexual fall within these ranges, whatsoever.  One may believe that from one's own religious perspective, but to allow such abject discrimination to permeate the great civic divide of Church/State is unacceptable.

OF COURSE HOMOSEXUALS SHOULD BE ALLOWED CIVIC MARRIAGE.  

[picture courtesy Tegan & Sara w/out permission...sorry girls]

In fact, there you go.  There is your new buzzword, world!  No more "civil unions" call 'em "civic marriages."  This differentiates CLEARLY religious marriage v. civic marriage.  To that end, and in many ways due to this issue, my wife and I have a "civic marriage."  Would you claim it to be any less legitimate or real?  I would hope you wouldn't.  In the same way, what right does anyone have to impose religious views on ours or anyone else's expressions of love, in the context of a civic arrangement?  Should you have been able to FORCE me to have a religious heterosexual marriage?

In the same way, committed homosexual couples have every right, as Americans, to declare their permanent love in a legal manner, consisting of all legal rights held therein.  There is no religious argument that could hold up against the concept of individuals' having equal civil rights.  There just isn't.  And there certainly isn't a valid political argument.  

Homosexuals have it rough.  Every minority suffers, but homosexuality is a special cross to bear (heh! that works on like, two levels).  This is not because of any deficiencies of self, but rather society's deficiencies.  Even today, "gay, faggot, queer, et al" are used freely in the culture as words of derision.  This is no longer the case with race (generally) or gender, but us straights still get a kick out of calling our loser friend a "faggot."  

I certainly am guilty.  I don't know where it came from, but mixed in with my generally abhorrent language was a particularly nasty strain of that kind of talk.  I never had any hatred behind it, to the extent that I at times in the past have embarrassedly caught myself calling something or someone "gay" or "fagged" while speaking with gay friends.  When I say caught, I don't mean I stopped myself.  I mean I was like "Yo, that shit is fagged." and then thinking "smooth....asshole."  Such incidents helped me to work towards getting that stuff out of my vocab.  I still find myself doing it once in a while, but I am much better.  

But can you imagine living in a secret world where the negativity directed towards your secret truth is so irrationally ingrained in the society as to drive people to do and say all manner of NASTY things?

I have so much respect for homosexuals because I sympathize with their struggle.  It has to be so hard, in so many ways.  And I imagine that once they've relieved themselves of the yolk of the closet, it gets easier, and they feel able to live more freely, honestly, and openly, as themselves.  That is fucking awesome.   Why would we, as a society, through official government edict,  want to make it any more difficult for them to go about their lives? 

As the world grows more enlightened and continues to work past its opacity I hope such "issues" will fade into an absurd oblivion. 


Related issues:



Many of my friends and facebook acquaintances feel strongly about these issues, and I seek not to disparage either side.  People have a right to their opinions and expression, and I for one would certainly not seek to take this away.  I don't classify those who oppose gay marriage as "hateful" in that I don't think they are approaching their views in a spirit of hatred.  I may disagree with those views, and I may even claim that said views are discriminatory in nature.  But I seek in no way to de-elevate the level of conversation by firing accusations or by name calling.  

The tents big enough for all of us, but EVERYONE has to remember that.  

Please comment.