7/26/08

Fuck Corporate Design, Hire Ian Nadel

Great night.  (Not "professionally")

Stupid music at Pastabilities didn't go so well.  As I am well aware and experienced in: sometimes, that just happens.

You can't blame Nate Farrar for not bringing out a crowd.  On many a good evening I have not brought out a crowd.  And to that end, it is a shame that we are in a "building stage" where we do not quite have what one would call a built in crowd.  

For instance, when I play @ Homegrown tomorrow night, I will no doubt be playing to a group of 85-100% "strangers" who are by no means there to see me.  And that is OK.  

Had we such a crowd of regulars, on the just newly formed Friday Night Music Series, then tonight's lack of a crowd would have been supplanted, at least moderately, by this aforementioned imaginary built in crowd.  

As it stood, NOBODY showed.

I do what I can to promote, but from my mind, this promotion thing is a symbiotic, dualistic relationship in which all concerned parties are equally betrothed.  Yes?

Now, I've been in the game long enough to have failed on my end of the other end in my day.   I've played and promoted shows for my bands where I just never got around to doing the type of promo I should.  ie: anything at all.

In such a situation, I really wasn't surprised when the crowd measured on the paltry side. However, it works every way.  Sometimes, the shows least promoted bring out great #s of folk.  Other times, saturating waves of promotion do nothing.  

Needless to say, tonight was one of those nights. (where zero promotion=zero interest)    
I may be a magician but I can't MAKE magic.  Summertime's to blame as well. 

[Although, the first two weeks were successful, and next week, with LEW INDELLINI JR, will be a maximum event, I predict.   Lew, that magnanimous phightin son of a bitch, knows how to pack em in. But you should join us...]

So that made it easy for me to get out early and sneak down to Pan Thai to meet up with Betty, who was there for a birthday party.  

There, I met up with Mike, as planned, as well as Jimmy, Matt D., Julie, Brooke, Jen, Cameron, Maha and Tom Timms' fake bizarro cousin.  Shout out to all these people.  Matt D and I talked about Ian's Webby Speech which is wonderful.  Nice times had by all.  That Pan Thai does it well, with both Jimmy & Matt D's help.

The PBS Kids song on the TMBG site is TOIGHT, yo.  These kids comin up is gonna be SMART!


WE WANT CAKE!  WHERE'S OUR CAKE?!