8/30/08

comparisons

Rick Reilly is always on point.  


Phils lost...BOO!  At least I beat MC Ben @ RBI baseball.  I had him 3-0 in the 9th and he came back and tied the game!  I scored two in the 10th, and then he scored only one.  Put one in my column!  I had to leave before getting the chance to beat up on Timmy, as I had a sandwich waiting on me @ Wash St. Ale House (chix w/shroom, cheddar, chili!) and they was bout to close.  Timmy will have to sleep comfortably tonight with the knowledge that his (and my) precious Phillies are two games out of first place, and that the last time the two of us played RBI baseball I tied him up in a NO HITTER.


Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac is a pleasure, and I particularly enjoyed the G.E. Johnson poem he shared a couple of days ago.  

Basketball

by G.E. Johnson

Once after dinner a woman and I walked past
An empty basketball court and she says,
"I played on a team my junior year in Belfast,"
And I say "Want to shoot some?" She says "Yes,"
Though she was wearing a long black dinner dress.
She kicked off her high heels and she caught
My pass and with great finesse
Drove to the baseline, jumped and shot
Swish. Two points. We played for awhile,
Man in a black suit, woman in a long black gown,
I loved her quickness and her heads-up style,
Her cool hand as she beat me hands down —
       Her jumpiness, like a blackbird in the night—
       Her steady eye, her feet about to take flight.

"Basketball" by G.E. Johnson. Reprinted with(out) permission.

Reminds me (sorta) of one of my own, from a good few years back... (~2000?)

Driving the Lane 

The outside shot is important

because it lets your opponent know

that he can’t leave you open,

even on the outside. 

Once you’ve mastered it,

you can drive the lane all you want,

because its easier to beat a man

who is covering you real close. 

If you have a good outside shot,

he’ll have to cover you close. 

Then it’s just a quick move,

a drive to the hoop,

and a lay-up.

DON’T MISS YOUR LAY-UPS.


~~~

His is better (sorta).