7/27/08

Ironices: an index of ironies

Ironices....
(see: my last entry...)


So Saturday night, as described, was a busy one, in that I began the evening working a bar shift and finished with a trek two Newark (for the second time in two weeks) for my acoustic performance @ Homegrown.

The irony springs forth, ebulliently, from the fact that I arrived, with people in tow, to learn that the show had been cancelled, from the Homegrown side, due to their already hosting two events that night.  They had the annual Food & Brew Dinner, which involves all the restaurants in the area getting together to present a variety of unique brews, with the idea that patrons will traipse from one place to the next enjoying the beers and atmospheres.

In addition to this, HG is celebrating their "Grand Re-Opening" after having half closed for awhile to renovate and expand their bar area.  It looks real nice and good, but the aesthetic and spatial improvements did nothing to make me feel better about not being able to play.  From my end, it seems that they a.)didn't want to have music on top of their already hectic situations, and b.)probably had to pay into the Food & Brew evening, and had by doing so decimated their entertainment budget for the evening, leaving them unable to pay the musician.

By a unfortunate occasion of crossed wires, I was left uninformed of the cancellation (although maybe not... in retrospect, it is certainly possible that Melissa or someone else did inform of the cancellation a good long while ago, and I just forgot) and showed up anyway.  I woulda played for free, really, although I did not offer to do so and am not sure they would have wanted me to.  It was nice to get to hang out with the good kind folk who had come out to see me, and to meet some of their friends (let's see if I can get all the names right... "Thanks" goes to: Murph, Karen, Mike, Casey, Cassie, & Lisa, and "Nice to meet you" goes to Jess, Anthony, and Tony although in all honesty, Anthony and I weren't formally introduced, I just deduced his name from conversation and we talked like we were already friends, as boys are sometimes wont to do.  

I also ran into J Rice, who told me about his website, cooksoutlook (which you should check out) and his impending move back to Pittsburgh.  He will be missed.
I saw Matt H as well, though we only chatted for a moment or two before he disappeared down the road to go check Onita and some other band at the East End.  

I find it unparalleledly hilarious that I whine about the outcome of Friday night, only to have sorta the exact opposite thing happen to me on Saturday night.

I like to sometimes "share" one of the opinion pieces in the NYT with my facebook friends. This Sunday calls for the reading of all three of them, Dowd, Rich & Friedman, and instead of loading up my facebook page with NYT links, you can read by clicking the respective names, above.  This looks pretty good as well, although I have not read any of it yet.

Have a pleasant week.

bd